February 3, 2013

Assignment 4 - Evaluative report


As the final post in my INF506 journey, I will both evaluate and reflect how I have met the learning objectives of the course using three Online Learning Journal (OLJ) entries to support this. They include OLJ  A-Z of Social Networking (6/12/12), OLJ 5 What is an Information Professional? (9/12/12) and OLJ7 Social Media Policies (27/1/13). I have not only achieved these objectives, but become aware and excited about social networking, Web 2.0 technologies and the implications for my teaching and learning.

                        My OLJ A-Z of Social Networking shows how my understandings of social networking technologies has developed from a basic understanding to now a more enlightened and excited user of social networking technologies. An information professional needs an “understanding of new and emerging social networking technologies” (Brooker, 2012c), as discussed in What is an Information professional? This knowledge is essential to the Librarian 2.0. A social networking technology that I have discovered during INF506 is Second Life, an interactive social networking tool in which an avatar is created to represent an individual in a multi user virtual world. It was described by Helmer (2007) as an immersive experience enabling users to use higher order inquiry skills to participate in a 3D world. This type of 3D game allows any child to “build confidence in their academic abilities by stepping out of their real world” (Dede, 2009, p.67) and allows them to succeed under the disguise of their avatar. While not all social networking technologies are relevant to the library I currently work in, it is important to be aware  and be able to “connect people to the appropriate technology to meet their  needs” (Abram, 2007 ; Harvey, 2009). Currently blogs, wikis, using RSS feeds, tagging and bookmarking are popular technologies, however as other new technologies are invented, an information professional must not only be aware, but embrace them professionally and personally as applicable to their situation. Being connected to an online community has provided insights and valuable links to other like-minded professionals who are on the cutting edge of new technologies. As a professional educator, being part of an online learning community expands ones’ personal learning network, which is “an essential part of a teacher’s (or information professional’s) toolkit” (Buchanan, 2011, p.1).

            My post What is an Information professional also allowed me to demonstrate my understanding of the concepts, theory and practice of Library 2.0. An information professional needs specific skills, knowledge and attributes to stand out as a leader. Library 2.0 embraces Web 2.0 technologies plus the principles of collaboration, conversation, community, content creation and crowd sourcing. My post A-Z of Social Networking reflects my initial understandings of how libraries are changing from being a place of information to a resource where information is shared between people. An information professional needs to “deliver rich user experiences” (O’Reilly, 2005, p.1) to their clients. I endeavour to do so and I have been inspired by this course to focus on how I can make a difference to provide serving both my online learning community and my school community, whilst also supporting the informational and collaborative needs of groups, communities and organisations within the school environment.While researching blogs for my assignment, I have been able to collaborate with others around the globe about how I can use a blog to connect, share, inspire and learn from our school community by setting up a library blog. This is also an example of how I have critically examined the features and functionality of a social networking tool that meets the information needs of users and reflects a deeper understanding of the needs of my school library environment as I can now see how to apply a specific Web 2.0 technology to that need.

            With the emergence of social networking technologies in our schools, it is vital to create a social media policy to support staff, students and the school community. The collaborative needs of various workgroups were identified in Social Media Policies. It evaluated articles and policies, allowed me to reflect on some of the social, cultural, educational, ethical, and technical management issues that would arise when formulating a social media policy for a school library. “Empowerment with accountability” was an extensive database providing policies of companies, including Flickr, providing tweeting guidelines and links to other relevant resources that could assist in developing such a policy. It provided some understandings of copyright, intellectual property, Creative Commons and how information policies are both developed and implemented. Privacy and security were also features of these articles and policies, which are issues again relevant when developing a social media policy.

 

Reflective Statement:

            As I reread my first Online Learning Journal entry I am amazed to see where I have come from! While I was aware that “social networking is a way of communicating and sharing with others” (Brooker, 2012a), I was not aware of the opportunities they can provide to network with others and the prospect of forming online communities. I experienced this using our INF506 Facebook Group. The many times students or lecturers have shared a link or piece of information that has added to my professional knowledge, answered a question or led me to discover something I wasn’t expecting are too numerous to list. I was encouraged by many articles shared by students, which I have bookmarked such as “Librarians Use Social Networking More Professionally Than Teachers and Principals” (Noble, 2012) and”Peer to Peer Learning Handbook” (Tina, 2013). Of much interest was the online community of “Second Life” (SL). After my first tour with Carole Gerts (December 11, 2012), I posted a rather pink screenshot. I was thrilled as I had mastered this new skill, but Carole helped me to see the SL community in its true colours! Similarly Lyn Hay shared a link to “Build your LinkedIn Network” which helped me begin my journey and make connections in this new community. As reflected in my first OLJ post, “I enrolled in this course because I have what I consider a limited experience and knowledge of social networking” (Brooker, 2012a). In three short months I have grasped the essence of social networking after joining and participating in Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Delicious and LinkedIn. While I am a novice still at many of these, I am excited to be sharing my journey with others from around the world, as well as folks closer to home. I now have an understanding of the potential of these sites to connect me to resources that were previously untapped and love that I can share my knowledge also.

            The implications for my development as an information professional are many. With the increase in Web 2.0 technologies, our libraries are changing to become “user–centred” (Casey& Savastinuk, 2006). Whilst not many of these technologies are necessarily favoured at my place of work at this stage, I feel I have the capacity to discuss, reflect and collaborate with my colleagues about the benefits of social networking, how we can use technology to enhance the learning of our students and “deliver rich user experiences” (O’Reilly, 2005). I would love to employ some ideas discussed by Walsh (2009) for example using Quick Response (QR) codes in our school library, or encourage the library team to join Twitter to follow other educators, authors and teacher librarians from all over the world to immerse and share relevant tweets without overwhelming them in huge amounts of texts and reading.              

            Although there may be hurdles to jump in regard to alleviating staff concerns and queries about social networking, I feel that INF506 has given me the tools in my toolkit to do this. Just as Buchanan (2011) explores the role of a teacher, I feel this can be applied to my learning journey during this course. My role as an information professional is to “continue as a learner, developing new skills, exploring new ideas, experimenting with different teaching methods and approaches to encourage quality learning” (p.19) in our libraries. After reading and studying various school and professional companies’ social media policies, I believe I have the beginnings and the resources to later initiate such a policy at our school. I am excited to have made real connections during this course to new technologies that I would have taken forever to engage with if left to my own devices. The links have led me far and wide, into topics and issues that challenge and stretch my thinking to make me a more rounded learning professional eager to continue this journey with my new online community of friends to whom I share and learn with.

            In his article “Advocating for librarians – as opposed to libraries”, Stephen Abram (2012) succinctly outlined the implications that I need to focus on now that I have begun this empowering journey. Firstly, I need to model the attributes of an approachable, developing tech savvy and helpful (to name a few) information professional (p.9).I need to tell my story, share my experiences and continue to collaborate with my various networks. As I connect with students, teachers and the community I will be visible and have a real presence. Sharing my knowledge in as many ways as possible, both professionally and personally will give power to others, also giving me the opportunity to make a difference to others. Thank you INF506 for giving me the tools and the confidence to set and achieve these goals!

 

References.

Abram, S. (2007).Librarian 2.0.Online Information Conference, Web 2.0, library 2.0 and librarian 2.0: Preparing for the 2.0 world

Abram, S. (2012). “Advocating for librarians – as opposed to libraries”. Connections, 81(2).

 

Brooker, N. (2012a). Initial reflections – What is social networking? (OLJ 1), Live and Love          Your Library - http://liveandloveyourlibrary-nel.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/inf-506- olj1.html

 

Brooker, N. (2012b). “A-Z of Social Networking!!”(OLJ 4).Live and Love Your Library,              http://liveandloveyourlibrary-nel.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/inf-506-olj-4-z-of-social- networking.html

Brooker, N. (2012c). “What is an Information professional?”(OLJ 5) Live and Love Your             Library, http://liveandloveyourlibrary-nel.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/inf-506-olj-5.html

Brooker, N. (2013). “Social media policies”. (OLJ 7) Live and Love Your Library -             http://liveandloveyourlibrary-nel.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/olj-7-social-media-policies.html

   
Buchanan, R. (2011). Developing a Personal Learning Network. Scan, 30(4), November, 2011.

 
Casey, M. & Savastinuk, L. (2006). Library 2.0: Service for the next-generation library,  Library Journal, 1 September. Retrieved from  http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6365200.html

Dede, C. (2009). Immersive interfaces for engagement and learning, Science, 323(5910),   66- 69. Retrieved from  http://www.sciencemag.org.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/cgi/reprint/sci;323/5910/6   6.pdf

Harvey, M. (2009). What does it mean to be a Science Librarian 2.0? Issues in Science and Technology Librarianship, (Summer). Retrieved from      http://www.istl.org/09 summer/article2.html

Hay, L. (2013). Build your LinkedIn network, http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/224417

Helmer, J., & Learning Light (2007). Second Life and virtual worlds Available      from             http://www.norfolkelearningforum.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/virtual-  worlds_ll_oct_2007.pdf

Noble, R. (2012). Librarians Use Social Networking More Professionally Than Teachers and        Principals, INF506 Facebook Forum, 19/12/2012.

O'Reilly, T. (2005). "Web 2.0: Compact Definition?" O'Reilly Radar blog, 1 October 2005             http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2005/10/web_20_compact_definition.html

Tina, S. (2013). Peer to Peer Learning Handbook, INF506 Facebook Forum, 15/1/2013.

Walsh, A. (2009). “Quick response codes and libraries”, Library Hi Tech News, 26(5), p.7-9.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment